The objective of this research was to rank the top schools in each zone in Mumbai. The research had 3 major modules i.e. Desk Research, Factual survey & Perceptual Rating survey. Post collection of data a methodical analysis was done to rate the various schools that participated in the study and rank them accordingly.
A sample survey was conducted across seven zones in Mumbai-
South Mumbai + Midtown Bandra(W), Khar, Santacruz, Juhu, Vile Parle, Andheri West, Powai, Bandra (E'), Goregaon (E'), Andheri (E'),Vile Parle (E'), Santacruz (E'), Ghatkopar Jogeshwari, Goregaon (W), Malad, Kandivali, Borivali Mulund, Chembur, Vikhroli,Kalyan, Dombivalli-Thane and surrounding Navi Mumbai (Nerul, Sanpada, Vashi, Kharghar) Dahisar-Virar
The category of respondents who were intervened rated each of the schools based on their experience with the current school and their perception with respect to other schools.
Experiential & Perceptual
- School teachers
- Parents of existing students
The survey was executed during 3rd week of September to 3rd week of October 2020.
The ranking process in the current year, imbibed a holistic research module involving an objective study and a perceptual study. While the objective study is done to capture a true reflection of what exists, the perceptual study on the other hand is deemed important to comprehend how the different actors and the stakeholders perceive the schools. Thus, these two modules in tandem help to make the ranking process more robust.
In order to get robust data the study was completed in the following phases –
Module 1 – Secondary Desk Research
A comprehensive list of schools was generated with the help of secondary sources, magazines and other publications. The various sources used for generation of school list included:
- CBSE approved list of schools
- List of school from previous surveys
- Newspapers/ parents’, teachers’ blogs
As it is not possible to get a completely exhaustive list of schools and include them in the survey, we had option of adding any new school name in the survey form if any respondent mentioned any school name outside our list. Effectively, every school had a chance of getting covered in the survey if their name was mentioned by the respondents.
Module 2 | Factual Data Collection
Factual data collection
More than 450 schools were sent the factual data questionnaire and then were rigorously followed up telephonically to share their factual data.
The factual data sheet focuses on the following information areas:
- General information of the School
- Total number of students
- Board toppers
- Infrastructure & facilities
- Total campus area
- Laboratories/ other facilities
- Teaching methodology
- Sports facility
- Extra-curricular activity
- Medical facility
- Teachers facility
- Total number of teachers
- Student teacher ratio
- Experience of teachers
- Exchange programs and global exposure
- Disaster Management
- Fee structure
Module 3 | Perceptual Survey
The third module was a perceptual survey which was conducted amongst a selected set of respondents including students, teachers and parents of current students through telephonic interviews given the COVID-19 pandemic. This was done to arrive at a ranking and rating of all the listed schools as well as any other that they are aware of.
The sample selection was done using convenience sampling method. However the sample was spread out geographically to get better representation.
ANALYSIS OF FINDINGS
A robust approach is followed to arrive at the final rankings. The step by step process is given below:
- Ratings on various parameters for each school
- Calculating importance of various parameters by interacting with key stakeholders the teachers and parents to arrive at weights for each parameter
- Calculation of raw scores and weighted scores for each parameter
- Calculation of overall score for each school using importance weightages.
The information collected corresponding to similar parameters as in the perceptual survey
- A detailed scoring system has been developed for each parameter
- After assigning scores to each parameter, raw scores are calculated
- The raw scores are weighted by their importance to arrive at weighted scores
- The final score for a school are a weighted average of Perception Score and Factual Score - equal weight age given to both
- Schools who have participated in the factual survey were only considered for the final ranking
CATEGORIES IN FINAL RANKING
There are 4 broad categories of schools shown in the ranking viz;
- International (Offer only International Curriculums)
- National (Offer only National Curriculums)
- Both (Offer both International & National Curriculums)
- State Board (Offer only State Board Curriculums)
- A thorough review of the instruments and parameters was undertaken by Senior Researchers and the experts in their fields.
- Best efforts were made to reach maximum schools and their participation was called for schools who have participated in the factual survey were only considered for the final ranking
- The schools who have explicitly stated their unwillingness to participate in the ranking survey have been excluded from this survey.
- The schools, who have shared their factual questionnaire, were asked to give self-attestation on genuinety and authentication of the information.
- The represented rankings are based on shared information. Market Xcel undertook reasonable measures to get complete and accurate information. However, any lapse or concealment of information or any part thereof that would have impacted results in any way is beyond the control of Market Xcel. Hence, we assume no responsibility towards the said.
Present survey has been conducted exclusively by an independent research Agency named Market Xcel data Matrix Pvt. ltd. using stated methodology for arriving at given rankings. The publication house and its affiliates/employees/authorized representatives/group companies are not responsible/ liable for the above rankings. Readers are advised to take an informed decision before acting upon the survey rankings.